8 DAYS / 1,261 KM
Bordeaux, historic regional capital and gateway to the vineyards, discovery of the UNESCO city to admire its historical heritage and excursion in the vineyards (see Itinerary page 19)
The Arcachon Bay, between heritage and ocean
• Morning: Visit of Arcachon, a lively city all year round (winter town with its 19th century villas, the port and its auction house) Lunch on the waterfront or enjoying oysters in an oyster village
• Afternoon: Climbing of the dune of Pilat, the highest dune in Europe, to admire the view of the Atlantic Ocean, the Banc d’Arguin, and the Pine Forest; or embarking aboard a pinasse, typical flat-bottomed boat to discover the “Tchanquées” huts, the Isle of Birds; Or, for nature lovers, stop at the Teich Ornithological Park to admire the birds OR go canoeing on the Leyre.
• Evening: Night at the Hotel La Co(o)rniche designed by Starck overlooking the Dune of Pilat.
Biarritz, the internationally renowned Basque resort
Stroll in Biarritz along the waterfront, then lunch in the market hall with products of Basque gastronomy, then visit the aquarium and the Cité de l’Océan or excursion in the Basque villages (see Itinerary page 19 for more details)
Pau, City of Henri IV at the foot of the Pyrenees
Guided tour of Pau and its patrimonial heritage. Jurançon wine tasting (see Itinerary page 21 for more details)
Valley of the Dordogne
From Périgord and its prehistoric heritage to Brive, La Gourmande, or Collonges la Rouge and Turenne, the most beautiful villages of France, the valley of the Dordogne, to its many treasures (see itinerary page 20 for more details)
Limoges – Aubusson, Land of know-how
• Morning: Discovery of Limoges, labelled Creative City of UNESCO thanks to its porcelain savoir-faire (National Museum of Porcelain Adrien Dubouché, Museum of Fine Arts of Limoges, porcelain works) then lunch in the City, in Butchers’ street
• Afternoon: Stop at the Cité Internationale de la Tapisserie in Aubusson, which produces, since the XV century, the nest French tapestry OR visit to the Ganteries of Saint-Junien, OR the Vassivière lake, OR Oradour-sur-Glane, village martyr in WW2
• Evening: Tasting of local specialties in Petites Ventres, and night at Best Western, eco-labelled hotel
Cognac, it’s not just a spirit
Discover the history of the city and the Cognac houses (see itinerary page 21 for more details)
La Rochelle-Ile de Ré, maritime heritage
The bicycle: best way to discover these two territories (see Itinerary page 21 for more detail)
3 EXCLUSIVE STOPOVERS
- Discovering the world of the sea alongside the oysters and shermen of the Arcachon Bay.
- Visit the Bernardaud workshops, and talk to the nest French porcelain craftmen https://www.bernardaud.com/en-gb/the-bernardaud-house/the-fondation bernardaud
- Stay at Villa Navarre, Hotel 5* in Pau http://www.villanavarre.fr