2018 Summer Edition
ELITE TRAVEL TRENDS
Inbound – Facts & Figures
Inbound Trending Destinations
- HONG KONG WINE & DINE PARADISE
- HONG KONG GOING FROM STRENGTH TO STRENGTH AS A GLOBAL MICE HUB
- CREATING TOURISM MEDIA ASSETS
- THE ROADMAP FOR LANGKAWI
- PLACING THE ISLANDS OF TAHITI ON THE TRAVEL ADVISOR’S TOP SHELF
Inbound Natural Wonders
Inbound Trending Hotels
- LUXURIOUS COMFORT WITH A TASTE OF TRUE SICHUAN HOSPITALITY
- AMANYANGYUN OPENS A NEW GATEWAY TO THE PAST
- JUST HOW “GREEN” CAN A HOTEL BE
- MIMPI OPENS ON PERENTIAN ISLANDS
- NICCOLO PRESENTS SKY HOTELS AT ILTM ASIA
- THE SPIRIT OF MARCO POLO AT THE HEART OF CHINA’S “SUPER-CITY” – SHENZHEN
- ACCORHOTELS AND AMBASSADOR GROUP BUILD ON PARTNERSHIP IN KOREA
- NOVOTEL AMBASSADOR SEOUL GANGNAM OPTIMISTIC OVER FUTURE GROWTH
- QUIET DAYS AT RAFFLES HOTEL LE ROYAL PHNOM-PENH
- ROSEWOOD PHNOM PENH OPENS IN THE HEART OF CAMBODIAN CAPITAL
- WHEN LUXURY MEETS WITH HISTORY …
INNOVATIONS & TECHNOLOGIES
- “TECH” JUST ANOTHER FOUR-LETTER WORD?
- IN THE FIELD WITH DAVID ESSERYK |AI WILL CHANGE THE HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY
- GROW DIRECT BOOKINGS BY 25%? YES, YOU CAN…
- INCREASING THE NEED FOR SPEED IN 2018 AND BEYOND
- WHEN TWO GREAT NAMES GET TOGETHERG
- THE ART AND SCIENCE OF DESTINATION MARKETING
- ON THE NEW DYNAMICS OF HOTEL DISTRIBUTION
Editorial |MOVING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION
The travel industry is all about getting people moving. But not at any cost. On the one hand, it is evident that people want to have “genuine” experiences, getting off the beaten track, and experiencing all the beauty the world still has to offer. But if the very fact of them doing so spoils the place they are visiting, that is what we now know as “over-tourism”.
The increasing awareness of the effects of over-tourism is having a growing impact on how destinations are dealing with tourists in their most popular locations. An excellent example is that of Thailand, whose authorities put a total halt to the tourist “infestation” of Maya Bay, while an important impact study is carried out.
It’s a step in the right direction, and part of a larger growing movement towards responsibility and greater care for the planet.
This edition of the SMARTreport has a wide number of examples of best practices when it comes to creating surprising, extraordinary and memorable experiences for the travellers of today, and tomorrow.
Enjoy the read!
Richard Barnes – Editor-in-Chief