2018 Winter Edition
ELITE TRAVEL TRENDS
- THE ORANGE REGION OF AUSTRALIA: THE NEW JEWEL IN THE CROWN OF THE NATION’S WINE INDUSTRY
- PHILIP SHAW – A WINEMAKER OF INTERNATIONAL RENOWN A VIRTUOSO ADVISOR
- SAME SIGNATURE – NEW AMBITIONS
- VIRTUOSO PROMOTES A SUSTAINABLE FUTURE
- ANNOUNCEMENTS GALORE @ ILTM CANNES
- A&K ANNOUNCES INSPIRING AROUND THE WORLD PRIVATE JET TOUR FOR 2018
- GENERATION JET SET
- TRAVEL INDUSTRY ENCOURAGED TO SAY “I DO” TO THE DESTINATION WEDDING MARKET
- HONG KONG AS AN OUTDOOR GETAWAY DESTINATION
- LUFTHANSA, EUROPE’S WINNER OF THE YEAR 2017
- ENHANCED PARTNERSHIP BETWEEN AIR FRANCE-KLM AND GOL
- AIR FRANCE UNVEILS ITS NEW “LITTLE SISTER”, JOON
- KLM WELCOMES BLUEBOT (BB) TO ITS SERVICE FAMILY
- AIR TRANSPORT | THE INCREDIBLE RECOVERY OF BRUSSELS AIRPORT
- OPENING THE GATES TO MALAYSIA
Europe Inbound / Trends & Figures
- TRACKING MULTIDESTINATION TRAVEL IN EUROPE FROM LONGHAUL SOURCE MARKETS
- EUROPE: INBOUND TRAVEL TRENDS
- TRENDING DESTINATIONS | GREECE EMERGES THANKS TO TOURISM SECTOR
- ADULTS-ONLY: MARBELLA NIDO SUITE HOTEL & VILLAS, CORFU
- HASTINGS ANNOUNCES MAJOR INVESTMENT ON STAR BELFAST PROPERTY
Europe Outbound / Trends & Figures
INNOVATIONS & TECHNOLOGIES
Editorial | TRAVEL AS A TRUE ESCAPE
In the era of “always on”, a growing number of people seek an escape… at least part of the time. In this sense, in their urge to flee the digital distractions of daily life, travellers are longing to go back to times when life was simpler. A recent survey published by Small Luxury Hotels underlines the fact that they are nostalgic for a time where they didn’t spend over five hours each day with digital media (KPCB, May 2017).
The report suggests that in 2018, modern luxury travellers will find solace in all things timeless, and what’s more everlasting than literature? Independent hospitality players are providing an immersive taste of the past through libraries, literary butlers, and by paying homage to esteemed writers and classic novels. While these experiences look backwards to simpler pleasures, they tie into consumers’ cravings for new memories that they can take home.
This winter edition of the SMARTreport brings news, information, ideas and best practices from around the world aiming to assist you in your decision-making process for the coming year and beyond.
We leverage information gathered at some of the world’s top trade events such as ILTM Cannes and WTM London, as well as face-toface interviews with industry leaders such as AccorHotels luxury group CEO Chris Cahill, Polynesia’s state tourism minister Nicole Bouteau, Virtuoso CEO and Chairman Matthew Upchurch and Signature Vice- President Ignacio Maza.
Our European spotlight in this edition underlines the ongoing excellent health of the industry on the Old Continent.
Happy reading, and above all, we wish you a great 2018!
Richard Barnes – Editor-in-Chief