2016 Spring Edition
ELITE TRAVEL TRENDS
- LOUNGING IN THE LAP OF LUXURY HAS NEVER BEEN MORE ATTRACTIVE! Matthew D. Upchurch, Chairman an CEO, Virtuoso
- “WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS OF SMALL” Filip Boyen, CEO, Small Luxury Hotels of the World
- THE RISE OF THE LUXURY MARKET Key Take-Aways from ILTM Cannes 2015
- LUXURY SPOKEN FLUENTLY Starwood Luxury Privileges achieves highest ever ADR for group
- IN THE LIMELIGHT Catering to the “see and be seen” crowd
- “DRIVERS AND TRENDS OF LUXURY HOSPITALITY” Hans E. Koch, President, EHMA
- ETC NAMES UNITED STATES AS KEY TO GROWTH Eduardo Santander, Executive Director, ETC
- TOP EVENTS: ITB BERLIN THE WHOLE WORLD – IN BERLIN ITB Berlin confirms status as world’s leading travel trade show
- TOP EVENTS: IHIF ENTERING THE GOLDEN AGE OF HOSPITALITY IHIF Berlin – “Where the industry meets” – puts highly positive spin on outlook for future
- 60 PROPERTIES BY 2026 Hamad Abdulla Al-Mulla, CEO, Katara Hospitality
- ACCORHOTELS: +20% ROOM OPENINGS YEAR-ON-YEAR Gaurav Bhushan, Global Chief Development Officer, AccorHotels
- EUROPE INBOUND / TRANSPORT: LINKING EUROPE TO THE WORLD Iran, China and USA for the long haul, low cost regional air links within Europe
- TRENDING HOTELS: TRENDING DESTINATIONS FOR EUROPEANS
- TRENDING DESTINATIONS: IBERIAN TOURISM ON RISE Spain becomes third-most visited global destination
INNOVATIONS & TECHNOLOGIES
- ENGAGING WITH GUESTS ON A PERSONAL LEVEL Franck Racapé, EMEA Sales Director, Philips Hospitality TV & Signage Solutions
- IN THE FIELD WITH DAVID ESSERYK CONNECTED SERVICES BRING THE COMPETITIVE EDGE TO SAVVY HOTELIERS
- SMART GUESTROOMS TO OFFER THE NEXT LEVEL OF SERVICES … How the Grand Ambassador Seoul associated with Pullman raised customer satisfaction and achieved 30% energy savings
- CASE STUDY: THE CHALLENGE OF STAYING NUMBER ONE The Renaissance Malmö leverages new coaxialbased network upgrade to stay a step ahead of the game
2016: Out With The Old… In With The New
More than a makeover, the SMARTreport is going the extra mile – and then some!
Welcome to the new look, new content Cleverdis Hotel and Tourism SMARTreport. This year, as promised, we have completely changed tack with our highly popular quarterly publication, due to strong demand from travel and hospitality professionals from around the globe.
While international tourism continues to grow at an annual rate of between 4 and 5 percent, competitiveness is stronger than ever. So where’s the best place to get ideas of how to be one step ahead of the rest – or offer services and ideas that will set your place apart? The ultra high-end, of course! Just like in other fields, such as automotive or architecture, people look to the cream of the crop in order to gain inspiration. Not only that, as time goes on, “elite” destinations have been growing in popularity; although not so much so that they would no longer be elite!
We have therefore introduced, henceforth, an elite travel and tourism section. In this edition, we take you on a tour of the ILTM trade event in Cannes, in particular spotlighting the visionary participation of Matthew D. Upchurch, Chairman and CEO of Virtuoso, and also examining the latest groundswell trends in luxury.
In another new regular section – each time looking at a particular region and its trends for this industry – in this edition, we spotlight Europe, including facts and figures, trending destinations IN Europe and trending destinations OUTSIDE Europe for Europeans. We are particularly flattered to have the exclusive participation of the European Travel Commission’s Edouardo Santander – outlining his roadmap to growth.
Our Innovations and Technologies section is back stronger than ever, and in this edition, the AccorHotel Group tech specialist David Esseryk – our regular contributor – explains the importance of the internet when it comes to in-house services, communication and marketing.
So out with the old look & feel, and in with the new… but more importantly, a great deal of new, vital information that will help you in your work – with information and inspiration. We thank all those who have made this first “new” edition what we believe is a great one. We hope you feel the same. Please let us know!